- From the department of goofy search engine results: Google considers "cougar dating" inconsistent with "family safe search results".
- Meanwhile, in a bit of offhand commentary that will make any scientist cringe, a Grauniad style writer claims that
There is much that one can hope for from this alliance: a new way of politics, non-primary coloured ties. But so far, those ties remain decidedly primary-coloured and the compromises just seem to put everyone in a bad mood. Do blue and yellow even go together well?
Where to start: Nicholas Clegg's tie is gold, not yellow, if one can trust the accompanying photo. More importantly, though, yellow is not a primary color. Yellow is a primary pigment; the primary colors are (as anyone who has looked at the basic settings on their monitors or taken high-school biology knows) red, blue, and green. Color is refractive; pigment is reflective; and they aren't the same... even in the fashion world.
- Congratulations to the recipients of the Nebula Awards for best science fiction/fantasy works published in 2009, selected and awarded by vote of the members of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc.:
- Novel (over 40k words): Paolo Bacigalupi, The Windup Girl
- Novella (17.5k-40k words): (the late) Kage Baker, The Women of Nell Gwynne's
- Novelette (7.5k-17.5k words): Eugie Foster, "Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast"
- Short Story (under 7.5k words): Kij Johnson, "Spar"
- Bradbury (dramatic presentation): Neill Blomkamp et al., District 9
- Norton (book-length fiction for children/teen/YA audience): Catherynne M. Valente, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making
Of some interest, not one of the winning works was published by a media conglomerate (or, in the case of the dramatic presentation, produced "in Hollywood").
And further congratulations to the new elected officers,
whose sentences beginwho will take office on 01 July:
- President: John Scalzi
- Vice President: Mary Robinette Kowal
- Secretary: Robert J. Howe
- Treasurer: Amy Casil Sterling
- Overseas Regional Director: Sean Williams
- South-Central Regional Director: Lee Martindale
For anyone wondering, the contest for Canadian Regional Director ended in a tie and is still being resolved.
- Professor Buchanan offers another pithy indictment of of a group known to take advantage of authors (and everyone else).
17 May 2010
Wet May Monday Link Sausages
at 16:18 [UTC8]
I spent most of the day running around today — starting with slipping and ripping a hole in my jacket on the way out the door, and going downhill from there. Thus, some rather late link sausages...