07 September 2008

Princess Monochromé

Last week, the elder remora (among several thousand others) received a prankish e-mail that had been spoofed to look like it came from the chancellor. The e-mail was rather anti-frat/sorority. It took me less than 30 seconds to show the remora how it had been spoofed, and that even the purported source was itself spoofed. (I never miss an opportunity to increase my kids' cynicism.)

So today, I was down on campus, using the university libraries. Unfortunately, it's Rush Week. And even more unfortunately, I was only able to park in front of a sorority. As I was going back to my car, a mixture of potential rushees and sisters finished up their little timed presentation and flowed around my car in a monochrome stream of nearly fifty young women. None with apparent African or South Asian ancestry; one with Northeast Asian ancestry; two, or perhaps three, visibly of Latino ancestry.

Nope. Nothing wrong with the Greek system at the U of I, which has the largest Greek system around. Young ladies of the Mystery Sorority, you know who you are, and you're just as bad about this as you were when I was an undergraduate at another school three decades ago. But then, I was a proud member of ΓΔΙ.