29 September 2004

The Perfesser had an interesting fund-raising experience yesterday. I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not. I still get tons of money-begging circulars from the RNC based on my history as a commissioned officer. Statistically, that's not an unreasonable assumption; according to a survey done in the late 1980s and early 1990s, only 7% of USAF line officers did not identify themselves as "Republican" or "Not a party member, but votes Republican." I'm one of that 7%; not only did I see my commission as prohibiting party membership, but both major parties are too corrupt and conservative for my taste.

I also like the Perfesser's "solution." He didn't get mad; he didn't get even; he kicked sand in their face by explicitly stating his intent to vote against their candidate. His later change from Boxer to Gray is fine, too. I do object to one thing that his correspondent said, though: "Boxer is a contemptible excuse for a human being…" No, she isn't. She is a professional politician—and therefore wholly unrelated to human beings. She and other professional politicians get no contempt from me, regardless of party affiliation or ideology. They are beneath contempt.